Meaning of Business Communication :
Business communication is nothing new. Generally speaking, communication applied to the business world is called business communication. In this sense, it is a specialized branch of general communication. We can define business communication as a flow of information that occurs in any business organization. We know that for survival and development of any organization, a business man has to maintain a link with a host people such as customers, suppliers, lenders, government and his/her own organizational members. Such maintenance of link for business purpose is business communication. The above discussion, define business communication as the process of expressing any type of notice, instruction, request, recommendation, perception and the like to a person with a view to informing them of any business data, decisions, objectives etc. and expecting the receivers to do something on receiving the massage. Given below are opinions of some scholars regarding business communication:
Brennan observed that business communication was the expression, channeling, receiving and interchanging of ideas in commerce and industries.
According to Prof. J. Haste communication occurred between two or more businessmen for organizing and administering business efficiently is business communication.
Business communication may be considered internal as well as external. When communication takes place within the same organization, it is internal communication. On the other hand, when it occurs among the people who belong to different organizations, it is external communication.
Meaning of Social Communication:
Communication occurred in a social setting is called social communication. Human first learn to communicate usually with parents and relations who are social beings. From the beginning of our lives till death we spend much of our time in social communication. Social communication is usually informal.
Characteristics of Business Communication:
From the above discussion the following characteristics of business communication are identified:
- Business communication is a specialized branch of general communication.
- It deals with various commercial and industrial subjects.
- It is objective and impartial, as every care is taken to send information accurately and concisely.
- It is characterized by some special elements such as commercial and technical vocabulary, the use of graphic and audiovisual aids and conventional formats.
- Every business communication aims at securing some action by receivers of a message.
- Language used here is very simple, direct, concise and to the point.
- It emphasizes high concentration of certain complex writing techniques and procedures.
- Every businessman transmits messages with due emphasis on drawing attention, creating interest or desire, and inducing action.
Difference between Business Communication and Social Communication:
|Point of Difference||Business Communication||Social Communication|
|Definition||Generally speaking, communication applied to the business world is called business communication||Communication occurred in a social setting is called social communication|
|Nature||Business Communication is more formal and organized||Social Communication is relaxed, informal, often friendly|
|Scope||Business Communication on the other hand, takes place in a business environment, so its scope of operations is narrower than that of social Communication.||Social Communication takes place in a social setting. It starts from the very beginning of your life. Social Communication continues till your death at the end of employment life. It becomes inevitable and integral part of your rest of the life.|
|Purpose||Its main purpose is getting things done by the receiver.||It is usually concerned with pleasantries|
|Approach in Channel Use||Business Communication a telephone is a way to convey information quickly and cheaply.||In social Communication, certain channel a telephone line used as an instrument for having a char|
|Content||Business letters contain only essential as well as factual information and are much shorter||Social letters are full of personal news and are informal in language and style.|
|Use of slang and grammar||Business Communication is carefully planned. It uses no slang and it should be grammatical.||Social Communication is unhurried. It uses slang and expressions understood only by small groups, it does not follow grammatical sentence.|
|Rigidity||Business Communication follows a planned layout rigidly.||Social Communication follows no rigid structure.|
Importance of business communication
Communication is extensively used in all stages of modern society. Its influence on our life style is so vast that it is said that communication makes us human. Lee Thayer (1968) in his article, communication theory observed, “Communication is the process by which we actually create and maintain one another as human beings”.
Organization also cannot do without communication. It is as necessary to an organization as the blood stream is to a person. However, a brief account of the magnitude of its role in business is outline:
- Achievement of Goal: Every organization runs after target results. The achievement of this target needs combined and cooperative efforts of every employee of the organization. Communication makes this task possible through encouraging employee commitment to organizational objectives.
- Preparation of Plan: Making plan requires collecting necessary information, data, opinions, etc.
- Execution of Plan: After the plan has been prepared, it is circulated among the officers and employees for its implementation. For proper implementation of the plan, the officers and employees concerned are issued necessary directions and instructions.
- Making Decision: In the modern complex and changing situation of marketing and other areas of business. New problem may arise daily. Proper solution to these problems requires relevant data at the right time and at the right quantity. Communication plays vital role in supplying these data and when needed so that an organization can make quick and appropriate decision to cope with the changed situation.
- Exchange of News and Views: Making andcirculating plans duly are not enough for achieving the target result. Employees who implement the plans may have many problems, relating to their job performance. These problems must be solved. With this end in view management will hear from employees their problems and all other reactions so as to find the needed solutions. It is communication which facilitates both management and employees to exchange their news and views in this regard.
- Coordination: Coordination among activities of different departments is highly essential to achieve predetermined goals.
- Promotion of Employee Efficiency: Employees can know details of their duties, responsibilities and good methods of job performance well in advance through communication.
- Development of Managerial Efficiency: Management is getting things done by people. Success of management depends on how the manager convinces and influences the employees. Communication is the only tool in this regard.
- Maintenance of Link between Central and Branch Office: In a large business house having many branches at near and distant places, its head office acts as the nerve centre. For such an organization it is very important that central office maintains thorough and up to date information regarding the various activities to the branches as well as keeps the branches well informed of the policies and strategies of the center. An efficient internal communication system in this context plays a very unique role.
- Increasing Morale: Low morale is like a fatal disease. It creates idleness and frustration among the employees. Regular and effective communication can serve both the purposes of removing undesirable low morale and achieving high morale.
- Market Research: The modern business world is very complex and competitive. In these environments, business organizations must be constantly well informed of the competitors’ latest position and strategy, customer attitude and taste, market nature and magnitude etc. Communication can help management to conduct market research and thereafter to take appropriate steps.
- Development of Mutual Understanding and Cooperation: For development of mutual understanding and cooperation among various persons or parties of the organization communication plays an immense role through interchange of feelings, thoughts.
- Publicity of Goods: Goods are produce for sale on the market. In the present age of publicity, a product market does not remain static. It constantly changes. Now it is s created market. Wide publicity of the products is the only way to reach customer. It is communication, which can contribute a lot for extensive advertisement and publicity of the goods.
- Elimination of Rumors: If the communication system is non-existent or faulty; rumors, grapevine inaccuracies, suspicion and unrest will prevail among the employees. A well organized and comprehensive system of communication will eliminate these unwanted phenomena and encourage feelings of trust and interest in the affairs of the organization.
- Creation of Successful Leadership: communication acts as the basis of leadership. If a leader and his followers can avail themselves of the frequent communication opportunity for free discussion of the matters of their mutual interests; weakness, sympathies and loyalties to the leader will increase.
- Development of Relation: A congenial work environment is highly desirable for proper functioning. Communication can facilitate this by developing labor relation.
- Link with Suppliers: Communication must also be made with the persons or institutions supplying the materials, money or service required for the efficient operation of business.
Thus we find that communication plays important roles in the discharge of different activities of business organizations.